Drinking water in the morning, so simple it works!
I just finished a 5 day challenge where we looked at different ways that your lifestyle is sucking out your energy. I know that some of you were in the challenge, it was a lot of fun! One of the major goals that we worked toward over the 5 days was drinking more water. How did we go about making sure we got enough water? By drinking it first thing in the morning! This is one of the top steps that you can take to improve your energy and health, and by far the easiest. Why does it help?
Sleeping is a fast. When else in the day do you stop eating, drinking, consuming anything for 6-10 hours? You can feel the hunger when you wake up, but you might not notice the thirst. During the night, your body is slowly becoming more and more dehydrated. It’s important to drink water first thing to jump start your day. How much? Start with 16 oz and work your way up to 32. It will depend on your body and how you feel, of course!
Here are 5 solid reasons to drink a big glass of water when you wake up:
1. It fires up your metabolism. Drinking a large, cool glass of water after you wake up has been shown to fire up your metabolism by a whopping 24% for 90 minutes!(1)
2. You’re dehydrated when you wake up. You just went 7-8 hours without drinking any water! Even if your body isn’t telling you that it’s thirsty, it probably is.
3. Water helps your body flush out toxins. “Your kidneys do an amazing job of cleansing and ridding your body of toxins as long as your intake of fluids is adequate”, according to Kenneth Ellner, an Atlanta-based dermatologist. Getting fluids into your body right after your wake up will help your body flush out toxins first thing in the morning.(2)
4. Your brain tissue is 75% water. When you’re not properly hydrated, your brain operates on less fuel, and you can feel drained, or experience fatigue or mood fluctuations.(3)
5. You’ll eat less. One study showed that people who drink a glass of water before every meal lost 4.5 pounds over a three-month period, because “it fills up the stomach with a substance that has zero calories”, and people “feel full as a result”.(4) Especially after I’ve eaten a big breakfast, drinking a lot of water in the morning has also helped me avoid the temptation of snacking before lunch.
Take the water challenge if you are up for it: drink one big glass of water first thing in the morning for a week, see how you feel! If you would like to join my facebook group that is all about living your best, healthiest industry life: